What will I be asked to do?
Anyone who has lived experience of dementia is welcome to apply.
- You will be provided with some free online training resources.
- You will be provided with free support by the DCRC Lived Experience Project Co-ordinator.
- You will be supported to attend DCRC Lived Experience Group meetings online via Zoom.
- You can choose how and when you want to participate in dementia research projects as a lived experience advisor.
This role will suit you if you have personal experience of living with dementia or caring for someone with dementia (family carers) and are interested in being involved in dementia research. An academic or research background is not necessary. The role can be taken on jointly between two people.
There are several ways to be involved depending on your interests and availability. The role is flexible, and you can do as much or as little as you would like to.
The role may include:
- Helping to set research priorities
- Helping to review research grant applications
- Being involved in dementia research projects as an expert advisor
- Being involved in dementia research projects as a co-investigator.
This is a home-based role, with volunteers welcome from all Australian states and territories.
What can you gain from being a volunteer?
- Learn about how research processes work
- Learn about new developments in dementia research
- Develop skills in reading about and reviewing research
- Provide valuable input to research projects
- Support the work of the DCRC.
What can we expect from you?
The Lived Experience role gives you an opportunity to directly influence dementia research projects in Australia. As a volunteer, you will help ensure that the DCRC invests in research that makes a difference to people with dementia and their families.
Depending on your interests and availability you may be asked to:
- Read, prioritise, and comment on research funding applications
- Take part in grant advisory panels that contribute to funding decisions
- Support the development of research applications
- Support researchers funded by the DCRC or other organisations to design and carry out their research, either as an expert advisor or co-investigator.
What can you expect from us?
You will be provided with online training resources and one-to-one support from the Lived Experience Project Co-ordinator.
Agreed out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed.
How to apply
Please complete and return the application form. We will then contact you to confirm we have received your application and invite you to have an informal telephone discussion about the volunteer role. You will also receive a welcome pack with more information about the role.
How can I become involved?
If you are interested in joining the DCRC Lived Experience Project, please register your interest by completing the application form below or contact Deborah Brooks via email or phone (07) 3138 3882 (Wednesdays).